Be prepared for those upcoming cold winter days when the weather keeps everyone home and hungry. A pot of soup is one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to feed a family on a budget. There’s no limit when it comes to soup. Be creative. Here are two cheap and easy ideas.
Soup doesn’t have to be bland and boring. With a little practice, the Winter weekly soup night may become a family favorite.
Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
Cooking Instructions :
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add potatoes, onion, and chicken broth. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the cream sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter, add the flour and stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Add milk and bring to a boil, but be careful not to scorch or scald the milk.
- Stir constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and keep stirring until cheese is melted.
- Add the cheese sauce and sour cream to the potatoes, onions and broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir until thoroughly blended. Return to medium heat and heat until warm. Remove from heat and serve with warm buttered toast and crackers.
- 1 large family size 48 ounce (3lb) can of ready to eat pinto beans
- 1 pound of ground turkey seasoned with taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 ( 7.5 ounce) bottle of Taco Bell Taco Sauce ( I prefer mild)
- 1 can of corn
- 2 cups of water
- Brown the ground turkey and onions together, drain any fat off
- In a large 4 Qt soup pot, bring the water to a bowl
- Reduce down to a simmer
- Add the taco seasoning and blend well
- Now add the beans, taco meat, onions, Rotel and corn. It’s fine to dump everything into the pot.
- Stir and keep warm until ready to serve.
* This soup can easily be dished up into individual serving or family size cartons and frozen until needed**